Aim and Objectives of the Institute
- The Primary objective of the Institute is to undertake research in all aspects of Marine Sciences.
- The Institute shall provide postgraduate studies in Marine Sciences.
- Provide advisory and consultancy services in Marine Affairs.
- In future, and in accordance with the country’s manpower demand, the Institute shall establish undergraduate studies in Marine Sciences.
- The Institute shall be engaged in exploitation of Marine Resources as part of merging theory and practice.
These objectives were aimed at achieving the following national interests:
- Contribute through research, advice, and direct intervention to Tanzania’s food security programmes.
- Provide Tanzania with capability and awareness to address problems and issues arising out of the new ocean regime.
- Contribute significantly to Tanzania’s goal of attaining self-reliance in high-level manpower in marine scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Create conditions that will enable Tanzania to play its rightful role in ocean affairs, particularly enable Tanzania to make a meaningful contribution to national, regional and international programmes devoted to studies of the ocean and their resources.