Institute’s sections and staff
Presently the Institute is organised as one unit with three internally organised academic sections and one support section, namely:
- Geosciences, Oceanography and Informatics (GOI)
- Marine and Coastal Resources Management (MCRM)
- Marine Technology and Innovation (MTI)
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT)
ICT Section is a cross cutting section responsible for all ICT and outreach activities. The following are housed under the section: the National Oceanographic Data Centre (TzNODC), the Marine Education Extension Development Unit (MEED) and Decision Support Tools unit.
The first three sections are planned to develop later into academic departments. These are:
About Marine Geosciences, Oceanography and Informatics
Geosciences, Oceanography, and Informatics (GOI) section undertakes training in the subjects of physical and geological oceanography, remote sensing, and GIS. It carries out research in the same areas and offers consultancy services in the areas of physical, chemical, and geological oceanography and use of satellite information including remote sensing and GIS in the ocean and coastal studies. In addition, the section ventures into applied areas including issues related to coastal processes, beach erosion, shoreline change, climate change, etc. where advice is provided to the government and the public in general. The section also works in support of the activities of other sections of the Institute and the University of Dar es Salaam.
Geosciences, Oceanography and Informatics (GOI)
- Prof. Ntahondi M. Nyandwi – Associate Professor & Head
- Prof. Desiderius C.P. Masalu – Associate Professor
- Dr. Yohana W. Shaghude – Senior Lecturer
- Dr. Christopher A. Muhando – Senior Lecturer
- Ms. Rachel A. Sabuni – Assistant Lecturer
- Ms. Violet C. Swai – Assistant Lecturer
- Mr. Kelvin J. Kamnde – Assistant Lecturer
- Mr. Emmanuel L. Agwanda – Tutorial Assistant
- Mr. George B. Ngomano – Tutorial Assistant
About Marine and Coastal Resources Management (MCRM)
The MCRM section focuses on issues related to biological oceanography, ocean productivity, fisheries, marine botany and marine mammals, coastal and marine resources (estuaries and mangroves, seagrass beds and coral reefs, socio-economic and resource management). In addition, the section ventures into new specialisations such as: Fisheries biology, taxonomy and population genetics; Fisheries science and management; International market analysis of seafood products; Fish and shellfish immunology; Fish stock assessment; Fisheries Resource economics; Biostatistics; Fish biometry; Physiological ecology; Marine mammal ecology; Coastal and marine resources economics and management; Coastal and marine ethnoecology; Climate change, biodiversity and carbon trade; Marine laws and affairs; Marine and coastal resource policies and community development; Marine economic policies and business of marine products (International market analysis of seafood products, International fisheries development and policies, International law of the sea, Fisheries-mariculture-agriculture integrated farming innovations and technology and their impact on ecosystems, markets and product prices); Sociology; Eco-tourism; Integrated coastal zone management.
Staff List at Marine and Coastal Resources Management Section
Senior Lecturer and Head of Section
M.S. Shalli, B.Sc., M.Sc. (SUA), Ph.D. (Dar)
Mr. Mtumwa M. Mwadini
Mr. Idd K. Ramadhan
About Marine Technology and Innovation (MTI)
The Institute of Marine Sciences has contributed greatly to the development of seaweed, finfish, shellfish, sea-cucumber, mangrove crabs, and pearl Mariculture. To consolidate mariculture development, the newly developed Marine Technology and Innovation (MTI) Section is now developing technologies of seed and feed production, pond and cage construction, broodstock and hatchery production of fingerlings as well as bio-security and diseases control. The activities of MTI are:
• Coastal and offshore mariculture production systems engineering (intensive closed/circulatory/cage), live feed production nutrition and alternative fish feed developments, hatchery and nursery technologies breeding, broodstock development, and molecular biology/genomics.
• Finfish and shellfish pathobiology and development of immunity, probiotics, vaccines, and disease control systems.
• Applied phycology and the food, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, bioenergy, and bio-remediation industries.
• Innovations in handling, packaging, processing, transportation, marketing, general value addition, and entrepreneurship including quality assurance and control.
Marine Technology and Innovation (MTI)
- Dr. Aviti J. Mmochi – Senior Lecturer & Head
- Dr. Matern S.P. Mtolera – Senior Lecturer
- Dr. Leonard J. Chauka – Senior Lecturer
- Dr. Rukia A. Kitula – Lecturer
- Mr. Christian H. Matemu – Assistant Lecturer
- Ms. Jestina O. Ntaguda – Tutorial Assistant
- Dr. Mohammed K. Maalim – Chief Laboratory Scientist
- Mr. Danius A. Abel – Laboratory Technician
- Mr. Muhidin A. Khamis – Able Seaman
- Y.W. Shaghude, B.Sc. (Geol) (Dar), M.Sc. (Southampton), Ph.D. (Stockholm)
- M.M. Mangora, B.Sc., M.Sc. (SUA), Ph.D. (Dar)
- M.S.P. Mtolera, B.Sc., M.Sc. (Dar), M.Sc. (Las Palmas), Ph.D. (Uppsala)
- C.A. Muhando, B.Sc. (Dar), PGD (Fisheries Biology) (Bergen), M.Sc. (Brussels), Ph.D. (Dar)
- M.S. Kyewalyanga, B.Sc. (Dar), M.Sc., Ph.D. (Dalhousie)
- A.J. Mmochi, B.Sc. (Dar), M.Sc. (Ryukyus), Ph.D. (Dar)
- M.S. Shalli, B.Sc., M.Sc. (SUA), Ph.D. (Dar)
- L.J Chauka, B.Sc. (Dar), M.Sc. (Addis), Ph.D. (Dar)
- M.K. Maalim, M.Sc. (Ryukyus), Ph.D (ARU)
- B.M. Yahya, B.Sc. Fisheries and Aquaculture (Dar), M.Sc. Marine Sciences (Dar)
- B.A. Tarimo, B.Sc. Aquaculture (SUA), M.Sc. Marine Sciences (Dar)
- C.H. Matemu, B.Sc. Civil Engineering (Dar), M.Sc. Civil Engineering (Florida)
- R.A. Sabuni, B.Sc. Geology (Dar), M.Sc. Petroleum Geoscience (Ibadan)
- V.C. Swai, B.Sc. Geology (Dar), M.Sc. Marine and Lacustrine Geoscience (Brussels)
- K.J. Kamnde, B.A. Geography (Dar), M.Sc. Geoinformation Science (Enschede)